Interested in playing a college sport? Here are some tips from a successful college coach:
1. Study hard. There are a lot of colleges that you can go to. However, if you don’t study hard, you limit your choices.
2. No matter your skill level, you get what you give on the field. College coaches look for effort. If you don’t give your full effort on the field, it shows, and it is one of the fastest ways to get crossed off of their list.
3. Think about the reputation you are creating for yourself online. College coaches will look you up on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media. If they don’t like what they see, they won’t recruit you. Coaches care as much about character as they do skill.
4. Learn how to handle failure as well as success. In many sports, you fail more than you succeed. How you handle that failure says a lot about you.
5. Identify colleges that you are interested in and attend the camps or visit the campus.
6. Have fun.